Monday, April 4, 2016

String gel texture

Painting by Vicky Christensen, acrylic paint and mediums on 16 X 12 inch canvas panel 

Painting by Vicky Christensen, acrylic paint and mediums on 12 x 12 inch canvas 
Today's paintings have been in the works for a few days due to the drying time between layers. This is another experiment based on examples I found in Jo Toye's book, Abstract Explorations in Acrylic Painting. I primed the surface with black gesso, let it dry thoroughly then drizzled on Liquitex string gel. Toye's book suggested using Golden clear tar gel, but I already had the Liquitex gel, a similar product. After letting the gel dry the next step is to paint white gesso on and quickly scrape it away to leave the black showing through the raised texture of the clear gel. You can use a credit card  (an expired one :) ). I used a Catalyst silicone wedge.

After scraping the white gesso I ĺet the canvases dry for another day.  Today I painted with transparent fluid acrylics thinned with a little glazing liquid. I really like the effects and look forward to using this technique again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think