Thursday, August 7, 2014

I Love Waterfalls

Pastel over watercolor underpainting on PastelMat, approx. 16 X 12 in.
Today's painting is another tropical waterfall. Who doesn't love them? My inspiration was a photo I took on my vacation in Hawaii.

As with Tuesday's painting, I painted a watercolor underpainting first, then finished with pastels. The surface is PastelMat, which grabs the pastels quite well, considering how velvety smooth it feels. I was able to put down quite a few layers of pastel, which is quite helpful when you are painting water. For Tuesday's painting I used Grafix Double Tack to adhere the PastelMat to acid free foam core, then did the underpainting. I noticed a slight amount of bowing due to the PastelMat swelling a bit from the water. So today I stapled the paper to an art board, painted the watercolor, then adhered it to the foam core after the watercolor dried. The staples left impressions in the paper, so I probably won't do that next time.

For what it's worth, here is the underpainting:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think