Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Paris Rooftops -- Work Still in Progress

work in progress, acrylic on canvas
Today I spent a couple hours painting a lot of windows on the building with the mansard roof. Since I am predominately left-handed, I have been working from right to left. I obviously still have the left wall to complete, then I will start working on the windows and gables in the roof. Since there is a lot of detail work I have been taking it slow and have been limiting my hours. The close-up work really knots up my shoulders if I try to do too much in any sitting.

Below is the source photo.
Source photo, taken in 1987 from a Paris hotel room
I obviously am taking a lot of artistic license. I changed some of the perspective, especially when painting the building with the mansard roof. The line where the roof meets the walls is nearly straight in the photo, and I decided to change that. Because of that, and also because the building has some quirky angles, I am having problems with the perspective. I like to paint fast and loose, so painting architecture is a big challenge and a learning experience. Next time I do a painting with a building in it, it will be something on a much smaller scale!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't wait to see this one finished, that is one big job, but it looks like you are going well :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think