Sunday, February 7, 2016

Starting new paintings

I went shopping today, took advantage of a couple coupons and bought some canvases. I've been away from the paints for a while and decided I needed to get my creative juices flowing again. So tonight I started a couple new paintings while I'm watching the Super Bowl.

My sister and niece want paintings of Charlotte, my sister's doggie companion. For the first painting my plan is to paint her on an acrylic skin then collage it on a mixed media background, a technique I saw in Amy Shawley's blog. Below is a photo of the first layer of the background. It's pretty colorful now but the plan is to tone it down with future layers. This layer was done by dropping Golden high flow acrylics on a canvas prepped with Golden acrylic grounds for pastels.

I decided to use up some deli sheets I had painted with leftover paint as the first layer of the next painting. I have no idea where this one is going, but I like the colors.


Here's another canvas waiting for me. I prepped this with diluted orange and magenta fluid acrylics before I left for vacation. The plan is to paint a landscape, probably a waterfall, when the spirit moves me. I used a similar underpainting in my last painting and liked the result, so why not do it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think