Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Trying New Things

Painting by Vicky Christensen, watercolor on 9 X 12 inch cold 140 lb. cold press paper
 I am continuing to experiment. I bought a new book by Linda Kemp, Simplifying Design and Color for Artists. She specializes in negative painting techniques and her paintings are full of rich color, texture and depth. The painting above is one of my negative painting experiments in watercolor. The composition leaves a lot to be desired, but I do like the colors and textures. I plan to be doing more negative painting in the future, both with watercolor and acrylics.

I also wanted to do a quick acrylic painting today since it has been a couple weeks since I have done one. I had a canvas that was already primed with a sky blue color, so I decided to do this close-up view of a flowering crabapple tree. I based this painting on a tree that I planted at my old house. It was gorgeous when in full bloom.
Painting by Vicky Christensen, acrylic on 16 X 12 inch canvas

2 comments:

  1. I love these Vicky, especially the watercolour - negative painting is a great technique :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leesa! I just downloaded another of Linda Kemp's books on negative painting. I can't wait to begin experimenting.

      Delete

Tell me what you think