Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Another Experiment with Golden OPEN Acrylics

Painting by Vicky Christensen, acrylic on 16 X 12 inch canvas 
I had some paint left over from yesterday's painting so I decided to do a little more experimenting. I put my palette into my Masterson sealable palette box yesterday and today the paint was still quite workable. No wet sponge necessary.

I painted this subject once before with pastels. The reference photo is one my nephew took in Hawaii, which accounts for the black beach. I think it turned out OK for my second effort with Open acrylics. When it dries fully I might try glazing it to make it more luminous and perhaps tone down the blue of the ocean.

Update - I experimented with an orange glaze of paint and OPEN gloss medium to tone down the blue in the ocean. It didn't go on as smoothly as I would like. I probably should have waited another day. Here's what it looks like:



Update, Jan. 1, 2016

I decided to make a few changes to the waves and the reflections of the sun. I brought back some of the blue tint to the whitecaps, reinforced the glints of sunlight, and glazed the foreground black beach with ultramarine blue  (which didn't photograph well). I think the waves look too repetitive but I am happier with the colors now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think